My buddies and I went for all 3 days, great time as always! A few things from this weekend and these are random scattered thoughts.
• Multiple folks associated with other schools stopped and chatted us up about Dresser. A couple Northern Iowa fans said what has been going around that Dresser wants Zadick in Ames. The one individual apparently is close with Dressers brother. Real nice guys. We also heard from another group that Dresser is after Zadick and Ramos (UNC GA). Who knows, lots of folks talking about it.
• The margin for error is just so thin in wrestling. You look at Sal’s first loss, Ty loss to Medberry & Hall, Joey loss to Mueller…they were right there, so close
• Was very excited for Sal wrestling back and getting AA!! Well deserved.
• Epperly and ZZ losing the way they did was heartbreaking and extremely frustrating. Man did St. John give that official some serious language after ZZ got pinned on that quick call in the wrestleback. We were almost wondering if it would cost us a team point, he was pissed.
• Going to miss the Seniors…Ty, Joey, Sal, and David gave so much to that team. I am a HUGE fan of Ty Walz, that guy is an absolute class act in victory or defeat and a great young man. Takes the time to talk with the fans as well, just total class act. He will be super successful down whatever paths he chooses over the coming years.
• The social Saturday night after the championships was really weird and hard to explain. Team and coaches were disappointed…multiple times the phrase “not what we wanted was used” by wrestlers and coaches. Also, the vibe was just odd…combination of disappointment, sadness, apprehension, etc. With the looming coaching decision plus the disappointment created the opposite mood from last year in NYC.
• Bill Zadick showed up at the social Saturday evening. So, both Zadicks were in the house. Pretty cool having the HC of the US Freestyle team there.
• Looked like Whit Babcock showed up Saturday morning. We saw him walk out on the floor in the medal round. And then didn’t see him again. Not sure where he was sitting. Not that I expected him to be there but I didn’t see him at the social that evening either.
• Penn State is something else. The talent, confidence, and composure those kids wrestle with is really impressive. PSU and OSU are going to be really really good again next year.
I am really proud of the team…top 10 finish and they were disappointed. Plus they didn’t even have a head coach the last 4 weeks or so! Coaches and team represented VT well, wish it would have gone better for them but still proud of them! Onto Cleveland next year!